Not too long ago, I posted right here an unique evaluation of authorized tech funding from 1984 to 2020, a video timeline exhibiting the evolving bar chart of investments in authorized tech over practically 4 a long time.
Now I’m able to completely current one other evaluation of authorized tech offers — this time of exits within the types of acquisitions or different offers from 2001 as much as Oct. 25, 2022.
As earlier than, this evaluation was compiled and created by Raymond Blijd, founding father of Legalcomplex.com, an organization that’s within the enterprise of monitoring investments and market information.
On this evaluation of acquisitions, Blijd discovered:
- A complete of 901 offers, of which 892 had been distinctive and 16 involving corporations acquired a number of occasions (akin to Consilio and AbacusNext.
- A complete greenback worth of offers of $59.1 billion.
- The highest three classes of offers, based mostly on numbers of offers, had been e-discovery, observe administration and contract tech.
- The highest three classes based mostly on greenback values had been e-discovery, mental property and tax.
- The typical deal worth was $65 million.
- The typical firm age at exit was 11.9 years.
“That is our third evaluation on the return of an funding of a authorized tech enterprise” Blijd advised me. “Essentially the most regarding perception listed here are the similarities between recognition of e-discovery and contract tech. Essentially the most profitable investments traditionally are in mental property and tax.
“But, if we have a look at the startup pipeline, we see little IP tech. We do see a colourful set of recent classes, It’s thrilling to see what the recent crop of startups will return in worth at an more and more youthful age.”
For any reader fascinated about going deeper into this information or getting the total breakdown, attain out to Blijd by way of his web site. His Spark Max customized dashboards present frequently up to date insights with numbers and names, they usually present narratives in graphs, charts, and maps.